Monday, April 18, 2011

The Whimsy Bicycle Tee (Tutorial)

**If you have used this tutorial or any others by Pink Stitches, please post your pictures on the Pink Stitches Flickr Group! I'd love to see your beautiful creations and feature some of my favorite projects!**



I am totally loving this cute tee I made! I got the idea from an A&F shirt I had seen that cost something like $40!! I can't believe I used to pay that much money for a t-shirt. Guilty as charged!

But now, I have my handy dandy Silhouette machine and I can do anything! Here is what you'll need to make this shirt:



- Plain Tee (mine was on Target clearance)
- Hot Pink Smooth Heat Transfer Paper (or any color you want)
- Scraps of fabric
- Liquid Stitch
- Iron
- Needle and Thread

It would be nice to have a Silhouette Machine but if you don't, I'm sure a Cricut machine can do the trick or you can just free hand it!

First, cut out a picture of a bike with a basket on your Heat Transfer Paper (plastic side down). I found my picture on the Silhouette Library (.99 cents). Make sure you mirror your image horizontally if you're including text, like I am. Peel off access paper.



Position the image onto your shirt where you want it (plastic side up). Text should read correctly now.



Place a sheet/ spare fabric/ thin towel over the image and press (iron) for about 45-60 seconds. Just follow the directions on the Heat Tranfer Paper box.



Peel off the plastic. If the image still comes up with the plastic, press again.



Now bust out your scraps of fabric (preferably thin, but it's up to you) and your Liquid Stitch.



Scrunch up your fabric strip, accordian style. 



Apply a bit of glue to the bottom and position on your bike basket. Continue doing this with your fabric scraps until you have the desired amount of "flowers" in your basket.



Hand stitch flowers in place so they'll be safe to wash. Just a few stitches on each scrap should be fine. This is also the time to re-adjust the flowers to look as you want them to.



And you are DONE! You are left with pure cuteness!!




Linking this up to these lovely places.

Don't forget, there is still time to enter my Bloggiversary Giveaway! You can win all of this:



You have until Thursday night. I will announce the winner on Friday. Have a great week!!!

20 comments:

  1. This is adorable. I don't know how I started reading all these craft sites that make me desperately want to make all these things that I have no knowledge or skills to actually create.

    LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is seriously so cute!! i love the scraps in the basket!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! SOOO cute!! And I will admit I am the idiot that basically wasted an entire roll (no joke!) of transfer paper because I put it in the wrong way! I remembered to flip my image but in that instance it would have been better to have not flipped my image because then I would have had it right :) ahh, you can't win them all! Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings.. www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg! I want this shirt! Will u make me one? I have the perfect top!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am loving this. I love to ride my bike and I decorate with bikes. I have a cute door mat with bike and flowers in the basket. my bike has a basket that my little dog rides in.
    I do have a silhouette. how much would you charge to make one? I would sooo pay you.
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute!!! I love the idea of little scraps on the bike's basket!!! So clever/crafty of you:)
    Have a great day:-)
    Eleni

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this tee! I do not have a silhouette, but am going to find a way to recreate this idea. I'm stopping by from Ladybug Blessings, and am your newest follower. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this tee! I don't have a Silhouette but have a Cricut and will figure out a way to make this happen. Though it may include an exacto knife and fabric paint. I have a couple friends that love bike riding and would love something like this. I love the flowers in the basket, really cute touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Trés cute!! I used to shell out the big $$ for Abercrombie too. But that was when I had no kids and more money. ;) Love that the bike is pink, and the flowers are a great addition.

    Thanks for joining my "I {Heart} My Crafty Cutter" party. :) I would really appreciate it if you could add a link back to me or my party button to your post. I'm trying to get the word out about my party, and every little bit helps. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG.... SO SO SO cute!
    I see my Cricut making all kinds of fun Tee's. Thank you so much for the great picture directions.

    Love your blog and am your newest follower.
    Buffie
    http://scrappingwithbuffie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally love this! And it seems so simple. I guess if you have a machine, I wouldn't trust myself doing it by hand! But totally cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! Stopping by from Momnivore's Dilemma and I swear I see a new reason to buy a Silhouette everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO cute!! I LOVE the flowers in the bike basket! Thanks for coming by Sassy Sites and linking up. Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    Don't forget to enter the giveaways...
    http://sassysites.blogspot.com/p/giveaway-eggstravaganza.html

    xoxo!!
    Marni

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so sweet. What a great idea to stuff the basket.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never seen a bike looking so cute!! haha :) Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really cute! I love the fabric in the basket - darling!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Case in point why I need a SIL!

    Thanks for sharing this at Creative Juice Thursday. Hope to see you back this week...

    ReplyDelete
  18. This turned out so cute! I love the detail in the little basket! So cute!
    Thank you so much for stopping by and linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see you again tomorrow!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa
    PS: I couldn't find a link back to my linky party anywhere. I would love it if you included it in your list, so more people can come and join the fun! :) Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!